Saturday, October 17, 2015

A Letter to My Future Students



Dear Students,
            As I reflect on the nurse educator I hope to be, I consider everything I have learned and experienced throughout my journey in graduate school. Prior to learning about the role of technology in nursing and education, I imagined teaching the same way I had always been taught. This strategy consisted of instilling knowledge to students through the form of lecture and using technology in a way that was comfortable, through PowerPoint presentations and YouTube videos. After being exposed to the numerous technological tools available, I envision my classroom looking much different from the traditional classroom. In order to help prepare you to enter the nursing profession at a time where technology is leading the way, I will integrate technological teaching strategies into every day classes.



            Teaching strategies will support you in being actively involved in your own learning and encourage you to become innovative, technologically savvy nurses. My courses will comprise of technological activities that will venture far beyond lecture to help you to engage in deeper learning, knowledge development, and the growth of critical thinking skills. In the introduction of new content, I will use presentations such as PowerPoint and Prezi, as well as audio/visual productions through Moovly, PowToon, and Movenote. In addition to my utilization of technology to present new concepts, some of your assignments will incorporate the use of technology as well. To prepare for class, you will be asked to visit websites, read journal articles, and watch videos. As homework assignments, you may be asked to create your own presentations, posters, reflection journals, and videos using technology such as Glogster and Blogger. Furthermore, your learning will be evaluated using other strategies in addition to exams with the purpose of assessing your learning from many different angles. Feedback will be given throughout the course through written, personal, and audio means. In terms of the clinical setting, I will also utilize technology in a manner that will encourage you to think in different ways and go where you may have not gone otherwise through high-fidelity simulation, virtual reality scenarios, and gaming. This will help you to develop a sense of clinical judgement and improve on your decision making abilities.  
            As your teacher, I will help guide you through courses, the nursing curriculum, and your journey to becoming a registered nurse up-to-date with the latest technology in health care. With the use of technological learning and evaluation strategies, you will be exposed to the many technologies available to us and will grow to value the use of informatics in nursing and health care. Since technology is constantly changing, we must ensure that we are engaging in life-long learning so we stay current on the latest technological resources. I am dedicated to this process of continual learning in order to provide you all with the most effective technological, educational opportunities.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment