Sunday, October 11, 2015

Nursing Informatics Competencies

            With the recent advancements in technology, the field of nursing informatics has been on the rise. Information management systems such as the electronic medical record as well as technological resources like Accuvein and bladder scanners are utilized by nurses to provide safe, effective, quality care. Nursing students must be exposed to healthcare informatics while they are in school in order to have comfort in accessing, navigating, and utilizing technologies in healthcare.  As an educator, acquiring and maintain competence in nursing informatics is imperative in order provide students with the necessary opportunities involving technology.

   

            Overall, I would consider myself to be at the modifier level in regards to nursing informatics competencies. I have a respect for technology in healthcare and understand the role of informatics in nursing. As a result, I incorporate the use of technological resources into my practice by accessing information from multiple online sources and information management systems and using this information to make well-informed clinical decisions. In addition, I utilize technology to support evidence based practice by locating relevant research articles on online databases. When researching information from other internet sources, I assess the sources for quality and reliability to ensure their safe usability to guide practice and inform nurses and patients. As an eRecord Superuser on my unit, I have some participation in the process of change to improve informatics for nursing practice. In order to advance to the innovator level in nursing informatics, I would need to become more involved in the design and development processes of these technologies. 


            After completing the self-assessment for nursing informatics competencies, I was not surprised to see my results as indicating that I have confidence in the use of computers, value in nursing information technology, and a positive view of the application of technology in healthcare. Before starting this course, I felt fairly comfortable with using computers to access information and had a basic understanding of the importance of its incorporation in nursing practice. However, as I near the end of this course, I realize that I now have a greater understanding of the depth of its significance in providing safe, quality care. Most importantly, this course has given me resources, tools, and strategies for integrating healthcare informatics into the nursing curriculum in order to support students in the development of their technological competence. My role as a technologically savvy nurse educator is to provide my students with opportunities to utilize technology while they are in school so they are prepared and equipped with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes related to informatics when they enter the nursing profession. Since the field of informatics and technology is constantly changing and growing, I challenge myself to stay dedicated to being up-to-date with the latest healthcare technology and its impact on nursing workflow. 

For more information, explore the following resources:
How do we integrate technology into nursing education? The Deep Dive Workshop describes ways to enhance informatics competencies for nursing students.

No comments:

Post a Comment